As always, I planned a couple of projects for the weekend and I had hoped to finish my gallery wall before my curtains but I ran out of spray paint so the curtains were finished first. Boy oh boy am I happy with that decision. I have never been this happy with a diy project (to date).
It started with pinterest (surprise surprise). I fell in love with the trend of striped curtains. They are modern and cozy and also …..very expensive I knew I wasn’t going to be buying striped curtains anytime soon, so I started researching diy versions. When I came across a few tutorials on painted striped curtains, I was intrigued and knew it was going to be my cheapest option. I started shopping around for cheap white curtains (to paint) and couldn’t find anything suitable. Then I remember a post I came across on Vintage Revivals. Mandi used drop cloth as curtains when she redecorated her friends living room. A light bulb went off and I headed to Home Depot and bought 2 packs of 4×20 canvas drop cloth for $23 a piece.
One length of the drop cloth is enough to create 2 panels. I measured my old window panels and cut the drop cloth into 2 lengths of 98″ (leaving 2 inches seam allowance since I needed 96″ curtains). Since the drop cloth was already hemmed (another fantastic reason to use it) I only had to hem the edge that I cut. I then layed out a plastic table-cloth and taped it onto the floor (this was to protect my hardwoods from painting the curtains) and layed out my hemmed curtain on top. Taking notes from the tutorials I had found previously I decided I wanted 12″ stripes. I started measuring down with measuring tape and marked every 12″ with a pencil. I did this on both ends of the curtains (to make sure I would later tape off a straight line). I also marked an X above or below the line to help determine whether that “stripe” was to be painted (this makes it a lot easier to distinguish which stripe is which). Then I simply taped off the lines, making sure to place the tape on the outside edge of the lines that marked a painted stripe. Once taped off the stripes don’t look even in width but they really are. Because I am über paranoid of fudging up I also marked the “do not paint stripes” with a bit of tape…just to be safe;)
For paint all I used was our old taupe latex house paint….which I hated when it was all over my walls but I LOVE it on the curtains. You do need to mix it with Fabric Medium (to prevent the paint from cracking once dry) which I purchased in an art supply store for about$10. I mixed it in really well with my latex paint (2 parts fabric medium, 3 parts paint) and started rolling. I did 2 coats, as the canvas was quite thirsty.
I waited impatiently for a couple of hours (walking by and touching the paint several times to check dryness levels) and once I felt it was dry enough I yanked off the tape and sat down at my sewing machine again.
Our home was the show home in a new development so we lucked out when we bought it and inherited the window coverings. We have white blinds that go halfway up the windows on our main floor (enough for privacy but still let in all the daylight) and the decorator of the show home had panels on either side, hanging by 3 loops on decorative hooks. So in order to use the 3 decorative hooks that we already have, I simple divided the curtain into 3 and sewed in loops of ivory ribbon. I knew these curtain panels were much wider then the panels that hung previously so I also pleated them, making sure that the width and the ribbon loops lined up with the hooks…not gonna lie, I eyeballed it and lucky for me it worked out.
p.s. Don’t mind my excellent edging job on the ceiling….precision is my favorite word:)
Once up I literally stood in amazement on how fantastic the curtains look. You can ask my husband….I have referred to how great they are at least 20 times in the last day.
I have yet to heat set the curtains (which is very apparent in the pics because an iron has not come near them yet). In the tutorial I used as reference, she suggested placing the curtains on an old sheet and covering with an old sheet and ironing, which will allow them to be washed in the future.
I love how much fuller they are then the panels that we had previously. I also love that everything about this project was diy. From the unconventional use of drop cloth to the fact that I painted curtains, with wall paint. Soooooo happy and all in it cost me a whopping $14 per panel. Ya. Amazing.